Potatoes always get a bad rep but there is something really comforting and familiar about them, right? These oven-roasted medley potatoes are not so bad health-wise as they are roasted with olive oil in the oven and taste-wise they are simply to die for.
Potatoes being my favorite were one of the first dishes I learned to cook. As a child I preferred meat over veggies except potatoes. Growing up, my mom made sure we ate our servings of vegetables before we got to the potatoes. I always joked that when I cook for myself I am going to eat potatoes whenever I like. As an adult now, I am grateful my mom didn’t let me have my way.
Once I started living away from my parents and cooking on my own, I made and ate potatoes whenever I liked. I made Skillet roasted potatoes more often than I like to admit. But then, having my own kitchen to experiment with, brought out the cook in me. I started exploring recipes with a conscious effort to add more varieties to my meals but potatoes are still my favorite.
I grew up eating golden/yellow and sweet potatoes but these beautiful purple potatoes were new to me. Its a great addition to the team. The purple color comes from a pigment called Anthocyanin which acts as an anti-oxidant. They are also known to lower and regulate blood pressure.
The yellow potatoes have a slightly buttery flavor, the red potatoes don’t differ much in taste but have a sweet undertone and purple potatoes taste earthy and nutty. These oven roasted medley potatoes are so easy to make, great for breakfast and pairs well with eggs. It can also be eaten as a side with meat.
Key points to remember before baking:
- Soaking potatoes in cold water rinses off the excess starch resulting in crispier potatoes.
- Its true that cutting the veggies evenly gives best results. But sometimes we have to work with different sized veggies. Line those bigger ones along the perimeter of the pan and the smaller ones in the middle. I have noticed the veggies in the perimeter cook faster than those in the middle.
This recipe is adapted from Cookie+Kate.
Another breakfast recipe you might enjoy is this Morning glory muffins.
Easy Oven Roasted Medley Potatoes
- 1 pound Medley Potatoes chopped
- 1/2 Red pepper chopped
- 1/2 Medium Onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Garlic small, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Chop potatoes and add them to a bowl of cold water and set aside for 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes are soaking, chop 1/2 a red pepper and 1/2 a medium onion.
- Drain the potatoes and pat dry with a kitchen towel before adding them to a mixing bowl.
- Add the veggies to the medium mixing bowl and season them with olive oil, salt and garlic.
- Transfer them to a baking sheet. If some of the chopped veggies are slightly bigger than the rest, arrange them near the perimeter of the sheet. They cook faster near the perimeter than in the center.
- Bake for 40 minutes stirring once after 20 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro or other herbs of your choice.