I am a fan, like many of you, of grab-and-go breakfast especially when its made with white whole wheat flour, spinach, red pepper, sharp cheddar cheese and spices. Having these muffins ready to go means one less thing to plan or make on those crazy mornings. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I am always looking for nutritious options. These spinach, red pepper and cheddar muffins checks that box.
White whole wheat flour is 100 percent whole grain as regular whole wheat flour. Both flours are made from different varieties of wheat.
I have baked a lot of sweet muffins but I’ve been craving a savory muffin. I wanted my muffins to still have the fluffy cake texture with some vegetables and spices but not loaded with them. These muffins are exactly that. They are not loaded with veggies but still has enough so you can taste them in every bite. So, if you have some picky eaters in your home, these muffins are perfect to sneak in some veggies.
These muffins goes well with soups and you can also insert them into your brunch menu and eat it along with oven roasted potatoes.
The nice yellow color comes from turmeric and yogurt makes these muffins fluffy. The batter consistency is thick. As you can tell, I am new to food blogging and still learning the ropes. I know I should add more process pics that will help give you an idea of how it should look at each stage. I promise I will try and add more of that going forward.
For storage, refrigerate the muffins in an air tight container lined with paper towers for two to three days or freeze them for a month. Reheat the muffins in the microwave for 15 seconds on high.
If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think.
Spinach, Red Pepper And Cheddar Muffins
- 2 -1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1-1/2 cup spinach chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper chopped
- 1-1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tray with liners.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl using a whisk.
- Take a large mixing bowl and beat the eggs in it.
- Add yogurt and canola oil and mix using a whisk.
- Then mix in the chopped spinach, red pepper and cheddar.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix using a wooden spoon or spatula. Do not over mix. The batter will be thick.
- Scoop 1/3rd cup batter into each lined muffin cavity and bake for 18-20 minutes. If a toothpick inserted into the muffin comes out clean, then its done.
- Transfer the muffins to a cooling rack and let them cool down.